6 Signs You Might Be A Workaholic
Many people feel that working more hours equates to greater productivity. It seems like a simple equation right? Work more = get more done. But the urge to do more and more, and work longer and longer hours can be a ladder that leads to overwork. What are the signs that you might be a workaholic?
In truth, the reality of longer hours doesn’t play out as an increase in productivity. Working long hours for extended periods, or staying constantly connected to work (via cell phones, computers or even “in your head”) leads to exhaustion, unhealthy habits and decreased productivity. Oh, and did we mention increased stress?
Is it Dangerous to Health?
Japan sees approximately 200 deaths per year as a result of extreme overwork. They have even coined a word that means death from work – “Karoshi”. But, to be clear, that relates to extraordinary levels of overwork. More common are feelings of exhaustion and burnout. Do a quick self-assessment to see if you might be heading towards ‘Karoshi’.
If you can relate to most of these statements, please delve a little deeper, using our resources below.
- First one in, last one out at work
- Your self-worth is very connected to your work
- You feel fatigued or unwell, but continue to “work through it”
- Work thoughts consume you when you’re supposed to be having fun
- Choosing work over personal commitments to family or friends
- Difficulty delegating to others
How to Cope Better
Instead of taking pride in excessive work, The Productivity Ninja uses a variety of tactics to achieve work life balance:
- creating great systems,
- taking short, frequent Pomodoro breaks,
- letting go of perfectionism,
- practising stealth & camouflage, and
- being ruthless in limiting time-wasting activities or people.
Curious to explore a bit more?
Need confirmation that a bit more balance is something you ought to seek?:
Take a peek at 6 Tips for Better Work Life Balance.
Check out how 12 People Define Work-Life Balance in 1 Sentence
How is your work/life balance? Here’s a quiz to give you insight.